A Reuters survey of 52 stores run by the largest U.S. private employer in the past month, including one in every U.S. state, showed that 27 were hiring only temps, 20 were hiring a combination of regular full, part-time and temp jobs, and five were not hiring at all. The survey was based on interviews with managers, sales staff and human resource department employees at the stores…
Tovar said fewer than 10 percent of its U.S. workforce is temporary – or what the company internally calls “flexible associates” – compared to 1 to 2 percent before 2013. The majority of its workforce is still regular full-time staff, he said…
Hiring temps is “one strategy” that retailers could use to mitigate the potential rise in healthcare costs due to the new healthcare care law, said Neil Trautwein, a healthcare lobbyist for the National Retail Federation. “Another strategy could be employing more part-time employees.”
Wait… so let me get this straight:
- Walmart funded its rise to prominence by shoving its employee’s living costs onto the welfare state (food stamps, WIC, Medicaid/Medicare, etc.), and thereby undercutting it’s competition and leading to a wage-price spiral right down the drain.
- To solve this, instead of creating a national health care system like everyone else on the planet (we’re the USSA, not the USSR), they came up with some sort of bizarre, half-assed, insurance something-or-other that is enriching for-profit insurance companies while encouraging businesses to fire their full-time workers and rehire them as part-time or temps.
- Now, I have to deal with the government knowing all about my medical history and controlling my health care payments, but also with my husband’s employer knowing and controlling the same thing.
- Everyone’s still going to end up on the government’s health care dime and Walmart employees are just going to get paid even less, which will make them even more dependent upon shopping at the company store.
- At what point are we going to drop the pretense and just start paying people in script again?
And, on a similar note, it’s “help a brother out by reading his stuff” day over at Zerohedge.